A house fire can be really devastating. It’s a gut-wrenching and emotional experience.
From the EE&G Restoration Miami experts, here are some pro tips on getting your life back together after a house fire and getting ready to rebuild.
Check If Your Property Is Safe
The first thing to do is to clear your property for safety. Hidden damage like stray wires or weak wall foundations can pose a serious risk to life, so it’s important to vet your property out for any dangers.
Once your property has been cleared as safe, wear protective clothing, which leaves no skin exposed when entering the property. Also, use a face mask to avoid inhaling the fumes.
Cleaning the External Debris
Check the exterior of your home to assess the extent of damage and where your attention is needed. Make sure that supporting foundations are not compromised before you begin cleaning. Use power washers to clear gutters, clean walls and to clear away any ash and soot that remains. The best place to begin is the home so that the water can drain away from the driveway.
Of course, you’re anxious to see how your home is doing from the inside, and once your EE&G Restoration Miami expert clears you, you can begin by ventilating your home and switching off the electric circuit to begin cleaning.
Remove soot from indoor walls and floors using mild detergent, washcloths, and brushes. Remember to wear protective clothing and gloves.
Salvaging belongings can be an emotional experience. However, when it comes to fabrics like clothes, upholstery, and carpets, those that can be saved can be given to dry cleaners or professional cleaners to remove any soot, smoke or ash.
Other things like shoes, china decorations and accessories can be cleaned using a soft fabric with a mild detergent to rinse out any ash and to mask the smell of smoke.
Don’t use Electrical Appliances
Unless given the green signal by a professional, avoid using any electrical appliance or electrical outlets until they have been checked, assessed and treated for fire and water damage.
Electrical short-circuiting and water damage are all too common consequences of a house fire and care must be taken to avoid the possibility of another fire.
Toss Away Food
Food that was around during the fire was definitely exposed to the toxic fumes and smoke, making it unhealthy and unsafe to consume.
Toss away any perishable food items, especially those that are not frozen. Even canned food and other non-perishable food items should be chucked out because of the excessive temperatures they endured.
Cosmetics and Medicines
Unfortunately, cosmetic products and medicinal products don’t fare too well under extreme temperatures, especially during a house fire.
To avoid putting your health at risk, toss away medicines and cosmetics in a secure and sealed bag. These items can’t be salvaged, unfortunately.